Friday, February 1, 2013

Oops, I forgot, let me reschedule... Nope.

And today, I have had to wait an unnecessary amount of time due to the tardiness or absence of a facilitator for what is AT THE VERY LEAST the sixth time.

Is this normal?  I, along with a few other classmates, waited for our facilitators for 50 minutes.  Now, we are told that we have to reschedule for next week.  After wasting an hour of our time, they are telling us that we might have to stay next Friday for double the amount of time.

I understand a few things.  I understand that sometimes, sh!t happens and you need to deal with it.  I understand that rescheduling a missed session is fair, and probably good because then you get to learn things.  What I don't understand is why this has happened to me at least six times.  Two of the times, I skipped class to attend a meeting, and then half an hour or so before the meeting, I got an email saying that they needed to reschedule.  Two times, I waited for an hour and nobody even showed up, and there was no indication of any sudden occurrence or anything.  One time, I got an email saying that they needed to reschedule, but at least that time I didn't have to skip class.  And one final time, I waited for a half an hour and then FINALLY someone showed up, saying they forgot.

I understand that students have mandatory sessions.  What I think is a little unfair is that under no circumstances, except a huge family emergency or something, can we reschedule or try to make up a session.  What happened today is that our facilitator forgot, plain and simple ... didn't email us ahead of time, didn't have an excuse, just forgot. And now I paid for it by wasting the time waiting for someone who never was going to show up, and I am going to pay for it next week when I attend the "rescheduled" session.

I am really unhappy about this.  I'm unhappy because I did everything right, but I keep getting ripped off.  How has this happened to me SIX TIMES?!??  How is it fair that facilitators keep forgetting to show up for sessions that are mandatory for students, and it's not that big of a deal?  I know that sometimes sh!t happens, but come on.  Literally just forgot.  If I literally just forgot anything, even if I forgot to dress appropriately, I'd be getting an email from the administration, I'd be getting an email from the facilitator, and I'd be lectured about professionalism.  I understand that me not forgetting things is really important, but what I don't understand is how it's not important if a facilitator forgets to do something.

Don't tell me that we're equals, and then continue to disrespect me like this.  I feel so ripped off.  This happens SO OFTEN.  Several facilitators failed to show up for these mandatory sessions this week.  This is so unprofessional on THEIR part, and I am just so tired of it.  But, there's not really much I can do about it, as usual.  I'll just send an unhappy email to the course director and keep trudging through this.

Or, maybe I'm supposed to just get used to sh!t always being unfair, because that's how I feel.  So many things here are just wrong.  Or is it just like this at every other medical school?  Do facilitators just forget to show up to personal meetings, meetings with a group of students, or mandatory classroom small group sessions?  Is that acceptable?  Does that happen often everywhere else too?  Because if it does, then I can be less angry about things here and I can try to stop DESPERATELY wishing that I WAS NOT HERE RIGHT NOW.

I wouldn't even be that mad if there were a legitimate excuse, or even if I would have received an email warning me or something.  I'm just mad because we did not hear anything from our facilitator, had to call someone else in charge of the course, and then finally got news that no one was going to show up.

ARGHHHH.

APE = Advanced Physical Exam?  As one of my friends put it, more like Advanced Patience Exercise.

I failed.

No comments:

Post a Comment