Monday, July 9, 2012

"So, this is the thanks I get for working 'overtime.'"

What a day.  What an incredibly frustrating day.  I had so much rage on that day.

Of course, at a real job, I wouldn't dream of going on Facebook or any other website I could get into trouble for unless I was on my lunch break or unless I was certain that no one was going to be around.  After my years of experience with working at the library, I am more inclined to say that it is not a "real" job.  The stuff I do does not require my full attention during the whole shift, and there are sometimes very long stretches where NOTHING happens.

I hardly ever use Facebook while I'm at the library.  I know that it's not a responsible thing for me to do, but here's why I'm writing about how angry I am that I got in trouble for it:
Usually, when there's nothing going on, I study at the library.  During the day shifts, I'm not even usually allowed to study, which is kind of ridiculous considering that most people with library jobs are allowed to do so, but things are different in the summer.  Rules are so much looser because the customer flow is so much slower.  So now, especially because I'm taking an online anatomy class, I do study when I experience "dry spells," so to speak.

I work in the morning, starting at 8 AM.  It gets so dreary that sometimes I refresh myself with either a glance at Facebook, a healthy read through news articles, and other stuff.  Some of my other co-workers (and I have witnessed this firsthand) play games, play go on Facebook, and even play games on Facebook--this must be the worst possible thing to do.  I literally went on Facebook for less than 5 minutes.  

We all know how this is going to go.  Of course, of all my luck, my boss comes out and sees me on Facebook.  He loses his cool almost instantly and tells me that since I have so much free time to social network, I should go through several DVDs and check whether the cases or hubs are broken.  I knew that he saved this incredibly boring and tedious task for a troublemaker.  I was so angry.

I wasn't angry because I got into trouble.  I knew I shouldn't have gone online.  I was angry because my co-worker who was working the same shift as me did a similar thing.  She went on Facebook, but the difference is that she didn't get caught.  You know what's even worse?  I got trouble for social networking online, but she didn't get into trouble for social networking in REAL LIFE.

Yeah, precisely.  While I was going through the 1000some DVDs for the rest of my 5 hour shift, I took note of what she was doing.  We had a line of customers out the door (it got unusually busy), and I hear her flirting with some boy and then giving him her number.  Are you f*cking kidding me?  There's people waiting, and you're scoring a date?  At least when I'm "social networking," my customers don't even realize it.  How f*cking unprofessional.

It gets even worse.  We had closed our doors to customers, and we were finishing up for the day.  I was finishing up the last drawer of DVDs that I was checking, while my coworker was telling the full-time staff members about her new "date."  I got a "Hurry up, you're not getting paid overtime for this," while she gets a f*cking "Congratulations!"

Social networking got me in trouble, and got her high fives.  FUUUUUUUU, I hate hypocrites.

No comments:

Post a Comment